Are you considering options to improve your smile? If you are unhappy with the appearance of your teeth, veneers may be a good option. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that are custom-made to fit over your existing teeth. They can improve the color, shape, and size of your teeth. However, there are some pros and cons to consider.
By understanding all aspects of dental veneers, you can make an informed decision about whether this treatment is right for you. Contact us today for more information.
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are made from either porcelain or composite resin. They are bonded to the front of your teeth to change their appearance, improve the color, shape, or size of your teeth, or close gaps.
How Are They Attached?
Veneers are attached to your existing teeth with a strong adhesive. First, the dentist will clean your teeth and prepare the surface so the veneers can better adhere to your teeth. Next, the dentist will apply the adhesive to your teeth and place the veneers on top. Once they are in the desired position, a special light is used to harden the adhesive.
What Are the Pros?
Veneers have many benefits, which is why they are such a popular choice for cosmetic dental work. Some of the advantages include:
- Veneers allow you to have a perfect, uniform smile.
- They can cover up stains and discoloration that you cannot remove with whitening toothpaste or other at-home treatments.
- They can make your teeth look straighter by covering up chips, cracks, and other imperfections.
- They are less invasive than dental crowns and require less tooth removal.
- They can last for many years with proper care.
What Are the Cons?
There may also be some drawbacks that you should be aware of before making your decision. Possible disadvantages may include:
- They are not reversible once they are placed on your teeth.
- They are more of an investment than other types of cosmetic dental work, such as whitening or bonding.
- Your natural teeth may become more sensitive after veneers are applied.
Types of Veneers
There are two main types:
- Porcelain - these are made from thin sheets of porcelain that are custom-made to fit over your teeth. They are bonded to your natural teeth with a unique adhesive.
- Composite - these are made from a composite resin material that is applied directly to your teeth. They can be shaped and sculpted to achieve the desired look.
Which type of veneer is right for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Dr. Firouzi can help you decide which type of veneer is best for you.
Do I Need Veneers?
Find out today at the Center for Exceptional Dentistry! Dr. Babak Firouzi, DMD is a veneer expert who can help you decide if veneers are the right choice.
Dr. Firouzi dedicates himself to providing excellent cosmetic and neuromuscular dentistry services to his patients in the Pittsburgh area. His team provides a wide variety of services, including endodontic treatment. To learn more about Dr. Firouzi and his practice, contact us today at (412) 274- 1126.